Monday, April 23, 2007

PDL 6 - A temporary job

Points to ponder : This earth is not my home


"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Cor 4:18 (NIV)


King David once prayed, "Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away." (Ps 39:4)


It is quite sad to know that time flies by so fast. I mean i am an adult now. Like it or not i have to accept my new found responsibilities. Work, make a living, and before you know it, i'll have to pass the baton to yet another younger generation. I read alittle of Ecc on how time can past away so quickly. And the wise and the fool all have the ultimate fate of death. But christians know that death is yet but another new beginning. And that's when our everlasting journey starts. Then what shall we make of our time on this earth? Isn't it like what King Solomon likes to describe, " chasing after the wind?


Compared to eternity, our life time here is pretty brief. So Rick advised that we shouldn't get too attached. On this earth, we are described as Christ's ambassador (2 Cor 5:20). For now, it's quite hard for me to digest this temporary assignment. Well one thing bad about me is that on my priority list, God is still not totally 1st. I will put my sleep, fun, pleasure all before God. And this is probably why i think i am more attached to the worldly affairs than to the kingdom of God. I know it will definitely not be easy .... but i do not wish to lose away the holy ghost in my life. Each time i put these things 1st, i feel that i am compromising something. Something else in my life......


After thinking a little through, i think i do not want to end up like a rich young ruler mentioned in Marck 10. He faithfully obey God's commandments ... but he is unwilling to let go of the treasures he stored on earth. Jesus commented that " it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to eanter the kingdom of God". I lernt from Mr Jeremy that the eye of a needle is a special small gate next to the big Jerusalem gate specially catered for visitors at night. It is so small that in order for a rich person's camel to pass through, the camel must be totally unloaded and it has to kneel and be pushed through the tiny door.


To be able to go through this door, i have to learn to humble myself. All good things in the world are given by God. But yet, they are of this world. I cannot bring it to heaven. Rick advises that all the pain that we experience on this world also serves to remind us of one thing... that is we are not home yet. This is an imperfect world that we are walking in. That certain dissatisfaction is to steer our eyes to eternity. That real prize is still ahead.


God, this is an awfully long journey. But i know you can shorten it anytime. But yet Lord i know you have place a purpose for every single one of us. I still do not know mine Lord. And i still struggle with temptations and desires of this world. But God, your grace is always sufficient for my needs. I thank you God that you always have good plans for me. Plans to prosper and not to fail. I want to be able to prosper in life. In health, works and in spirit. Thank you Jesus for all that you've done. Please continue to guide me Holy Spirit...

No comments: