Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Greatest birthday in our Soil

[ personal ramblings ]





Singapore has reached 40!


I can call him Uncle Singapore!!


Or Actually Auntie Singapore!!



Haa in the "Inside Track of Straits Times"....
We Singaporeans have a great habit of calling every unknown Stranger : Uncle and Auntie.
Well it's politeness... as we have been taught since we are little kids. But to first-time-step-foot-on-Singapore Foreigners, they would think Singaporeans have a big heritage men. I mean .. Calling everyone Uncle and Auntie can simply mean to them that we are all part of one extended family... but ... well who cares? I think its a unique trait of Singapore.



I also make a mistake today of wishing Singapore Happy 41st Birthday.
my reasoning : 2005 - 1965(day of independence) + 1 = 41!! viola.


I thought like this because of doing too much deferment work in office.. belive or not. haa.




yea sure blame it all on deferment work.. u blur sotong.




yada yada. Auntie Singapore has reach 40 years of age. That's like almost twice my age...




So reaching such age of maturity .. i decided to think alittle about her every-year experiences on her birthday.




What makes National Day, National Day in Singapore.



National Day song. - Reach Out for the Stars [with Taufik & Rui en this year ]

Where's all the fun and spirit if there is no National sing-along? The most famous and well-remebered i believe is Home. I've heard countless praises of the this sweet song. And no matter how we remake the song, change the singers, it stays as a great song. On top of that, i love " I belong, Xi shui Chang Liu and Shine on me. " Those are the songs that accompanied me where i was standing in the Padang field 5 years ago ..



National Day News. [ mainly The Straits Times. ]

I never fail to look at the newspaper for cool ideas or interesting history lessons. Well for this 2 years, i've been read more stait times than my A level books believe or not ...



Parade Show and March Pass.

The greatest marching experience. I believe it even beats the last March for the Passing Out Parade in Tekong [even though i have not personally been involved in that marched]. I say its definitely a great experience to march through the Padang field and to see the President, VIPs, etc.. smiling and watching you leave the parade. [whew.. finally they are gone... ha]



Planes, and Armory vehicles.

Well the Armory vehicles was only introduced into the show much in the recent years. Planes are the tradition. We have witnessed their fly-past countless times .... The great fighter jets that dominates the air. That roar that gives me the goosebumps when i was a kid. It's the pride of our nation.



National Education Show.

How Singapore gains respect from nations? From our small but significant history that makes us what we are today. The little that has become great. That's where our pride lies. I am thankful that i am reaping the tasty great fruits sowed by our ancestors. :)



Fireworks

My favourite!!! There are more varieties each year. This year, there is one that fires and expodes into a star-in a circle. The Magic of fireworks is not just the breath-taking sight.... Its the surpise it brings each time i watch it. There are just so many varieties... so many colours .. so rich, florid and dynamic! The best ones i've watched is at Esplanade during my O' levels year! It doesn't just like up the sky.... it lights up my heart :). Its just so coolz.



National Anthemn, Pledge and wishes.

Gone are the days where I stood in track field, hall, car park durin the assembly to do our daily National duty. It gets boring after doing for 14 years. But i feel it does reinstill the sense of nationhood psychologically when we are spurred or "pushed" to say it everyday. How else would we remember the price paid for racial harmony? I feel that Campaigns, Racial Harmony day celebration, National day Celebration and boring moral educations played very marginally in reminding the young about the unity among the 4 main races. Such celebrations can be easily done .. and forgotten. All i remember during these celebrations are the joy of having half-day off from school after the celebration. I guess lots of things are taken for granted during my childhood days ... Gee i don't know what i'm talking abt now..



Anyway there was a show right after shooting stars. Its call full circle .. and i think its a pretty enriching show. Its about a Chinese, who has been separated from her Chinese Parent and was adopted by a malay family. She has a twin sister, who was a chinese. This is a story about this strangled Malay-proclaimed Chinese ... going the extra mile to find her roots. It's a touching show men. It's heart-warming.. and stirring to see how the twins unite together .. even if there is a language barrier. [ the malay-proclaimed Chinese only knows malay. Her twin sister knows onlyChinese only] At the end, it shows both of them putting their arms around each other ... smiling and talking in their own form of language. The twin sister says she is willing to learn malay to communicate with her younger twin sister. I am truly happy for them :)




Overall, I'm happy today. Well even though some of the plans have changed as some of my friends cannot make it ... i still enjoyed myself! I ate Cheesy Lava 3 stuffed crust pizza and Singapura Supreme Pan Pizza today with my relatives!!! Cloud 9 men i tell ya! yummzzzzz.

Happy National Day to all! Stay coolz.




Pics I took from my Chinatown Apartment. :)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The last one on the right was sent by momo. :) thanks girl.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

just blogwalking. nice. :)

ah so our independenceday is on the same month, ours is on 17th.

"s0n|c'C@libr3,, said...

cool!


would there be fireworks :) ?

esther said...

you live in chinatown! i didn't know that, haha. so cool, can see fireworks. i recognise the furama hotel!! haha.

"s0n|c'C@libr3,, said...

:)



hehehe Fireworks rox.



I was once 200 -300m away from where they fired fireworks at Chinatown during Chinese New Year. It was awesome !!!!!! :)